6 Things I Learned About Being German

Hey ladies,



I recently read a blog entry by Diva On A Dare called On Being German... which is basically a crash course on the culture clash of living in Germany, that I thought was hilarious!!! After living in Germany for 6 years, I completely identify with these. I am going to share the ones I loved the most:

1. Everything is on time… except Deutsche Bahn.
So true. I know Germans are known for their punctuality how and ever, as it concerns  the Deutsche Bahn, the evidence of that is not apparent today. I don’t wanna go into it but Let's just say DB made me 3 hours late because the train was first delayed due to WWII bomb de-activation (I hope that's the right word), then the train showed up on a different track than what was on the display  (which the DB personnel also confirmed), THEN the DB personnel told me the next train connection we could get on, which ended up causing me to misconnect since that train was also delayed and poof, I could have been in bed for 3 hours longer instead of getting up pigeon early just to arrive in Saarbrücken 3 hours later anyway...... it's ok though, because I was able to use the same ticket for the new train.

I said I wasn't going there, but I guess I went there after all, huh? Haha.
#freeride

4. There is no concept of queuing.
When it comes to entering or exiting a train, bus, plane or any other mode of transportation, there apparently seems to be ABSOLUTELY NO sense of getting into a line and allowing everyone to enter and exit in an orderly manner. This is surprising considering how Germans are known for being disciplined and orderly (there we go with those unfounded stereotypes again). Just imagine how mind blown I was as people rudely and brutely (ok not maybe not THAT brutely) pushed past me to get into/off of a train…even as I struggled with luggage bags in my hand. #nolove

5. Everything is dead on Sundays and holidays.
I remember the first time I went onto the economy because I wanted to get grocery shopping done on Sunday before the week got started on Monday. I first stopped by Penny Markt. Closed. Then on to Edeka. Closed. Then on to Aldi. Closed. I even decided maybe just shop around down town. All the shops in the Fußgänger zone….CLOSED. I’m thinking is today a holiday?! I asked a friend who nonchalantly told me that everything is closed on Sundays. So you mean to tell me I have to get all my errand running done on Saturday?! I immediately heard the twilight zone intro in my head. #icant

6. Fresh air is important, but drafts are dangerous.
I never understood the sense in opening windows when it was less than 0°C outside. If I need fresh air I will go outside. Please do not torture me by having me sit in this living room with my full armour on (down jacket, opaque tights, socks, leggings, pants, shirt, sweater and hat), all while looking at me like “Shahidah, it’s not that serious”. I’m FREEEZZZZINNNGG for crying out loud! #tellmehowimsupposedtobreathewithnoair

9. You have the right to offer your complete, uncensored opinion to everyone.
Two years ago, I met up with an ex-boyfriend in Bonn, after almost a decade, the first words out of his mouth are "you got big" (as in fat) before even saying "Hi, how are you? How have you been these past 10 years? Are all your limbs working alright? Have you developed any arthritis or gray hairs that I should know about?”. I was just blown away like well darn. Them and their pesky unsolicited opinions #leavemealone

10. Cake hardly ever tastes as good as it looks.
I can't tell you how many cakes disappointed me. There was this one cake I ordered because I was expecting a not so sweet muted down taste (you know the usual german cake taste), but I was pleasantly surprised, because it was the exact taste I usually want...but I can't remember the name otherwise I'd tell you to get that cake if you’re ever in Germany. #sugarandspiceandeverythingnice

I thought Diva On A Dare's take on being German was hilarious! Be sure to visit her blog and read the complete entry there. #beinggerman


xoxo,

La Deutsche Diva
Picture courtesy of clipartbest.com 


Moin ladies,



Ich habe einen Blogpost von Diva On A Dare gelesen, welcher heißt On Being German... (sorry, der ist nur auf Englisch vorhanden). Der Beitrag geht um den Kulturschock vom Leben in Deutschland. Ich finde den Post total witzig! Nach den 6 Jahre, die ich in Deutschland verbracht hab, das kann ich total nachvollziehen. Ich teile ein paar mit euch:

1. Außer Deutsche Bahn, ist alles sonst pünktlich.
Das ist auf jeden Fall wahr! Die Deutsche sind für die Pünktlichkeit bekannt. Leider wenn es zu Deutsche Bahn kommt, ist das nicht der Fall. Ich will nicht viel darüber reden aber DB hat mich auch in Stich gelassen. Ich sag es so: Wegen DB, bin ich mit 3 Stunden Verspätung angekommen! Zuerst kam der Ausschaltung der Bombe aus den 2. Weltkrieg, dann wurde das Bahngleis getauscht, sodass ich den Anschluss verpasst hab. Ich war richtig genervt, da ich extra früh aufgestanden bin, um früh anzukommen. Ich bin in Saarbrücken 3 Stunden später angekommen.... kein Problem, denn hat es sich erledigt.

Lustig, ich habe gesagt ich wollte es nicht wirklich mitteilen und dann fing ich an alles zu erzählen. Haha #freeride

4. Niemand begreift was es ist, in einer Schlange zu stehen!!
Ich verstehe es einfach nicht…wenn ich ein- oder aussteigen möchte, es gibt überhaupt keine Ordnung!! Jeder steigt ein- und aus wie er möchte egal ob er dich drängt oder nicht. Das überrascht mich eigentlich, denn die Deutsche sind normalerweise ordentlich.. Stell dir vor, die Leute steigen ein und aus und they are pushing past me!!!!! Noch dazu hatte ich ein Reisegepäck (oder zwei) auch dabei.. #keinVerstand

5. An Feiertagen und Sonntagen sind alle Geschäfte geschlossen.
Ich erinnere mich an das erste Mal, dass ich einkaufen an einem Sonntag gehen wollte. Ich dachte, ich gehe jetzt einkaufen und Lebensmittel holen, damit ich mich für die Woche gut vorbereitet bin. Bin bei Penny Markt reingeschauten gegangen. Geschlossen. Danach bin ich zu Edeka gegangen. Geschlossen. Danach Aldi. Auch Geschlossen. Ich hab mich endlich entschieden in die Stadt zu gehen und ein bisschen shoppen. Alle Geschäfte im Fußgängerzone? Geschlossen. Ich hatte mir gedacht “ist heute ein Feiertag oder was?!” Ich fragte eine Freundin was los war? Sie sagt mir ganz locker Sonntag ist so gut wie nen Feiertag, denn alle Shops sind Sonntags geschlossen. Warte mal, soll ich nun am Samstag einkaufen gehen? Das macht wahnsinnig!!!! #ichkommedamitnichtklar

6. Frisches luft ist wichtig, ein kühlender Luftzug ist aber gefährlich.
Ich begreife das nicht, wieso manche Leute die Fenster im Winter ausmachen??? Insbesondere wenn es Schnee oder Eis draußen gibt. Wenn ich frisches Luft brauche, gehe ich denn nach draußen. Bitte lass mich nicht sowas ertragen, dass ich im Wohnzimmer mit meinem Mantel, Hosen, Schuhen, Pulli, und alles und du mich die ganze Zeit blöd anguckst und denkst „Shahidah, ist das dein Ernst“? Ich friere!!!! #tellmehowimsupposedtobreathewithnoair

9. Deine unverschämte Meinung kannst du mit jedem teilen!
Zwei Jahre vor, habe ich mich mit meinem Ex in Bonn getroffen. Nach 10 Jahren hat er mich mit “du hast viel zugenommen” gegrüßt. Ich habe kein „hi“, kein „wie geht’s dir“, sondern „wow, du hast viel zugenommen“ bekommen….. breaking News: ICH WEISS DAS SCHON! Unverschämte Meinungen von Feinsten…..  #lassmichinruhe

10. Kuchen schmecken gar nicht so süß wie sie aussehen.
Ich weiß nicht wie viele Kuchen ich probiert habe, welche mich enttäuscht haben. Die Kuchen sehen immer soooooo süß aus…leider schmecken sie nicht so süß wie sie aussehen. Es gibt nur einen, welche mir süß geschmeckt hat. Leider kenne ich den Name nicht mehr….sonst hätte ich das euch mitgeteilt. #sugarandspiceandeverythingnice

Ich fand den ganzen Beitrag von Diva On A Dare witzig, mit Sicherheit müsst ihr den ganzen Beitrag lesen. #beinggerman

xoxo,



La Deutsche Diva
Bild mit freundlicher Genehmigung von clipartbest.com 


Share This Article:

, , , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

2 comments :

  1. Hahaha super entertaining blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed! Thanks for visiting.

      xoxo,

      La Deutsche Diva

      Delete

Danke für deinen Kommentar! Thanks for commenting!